The following activities are supported at Salinas Area Modelers.
- Fixed wing aircraft
- Turbine powered
- Multi-Rotor drone (LOS, FPV and Autonomous / way-point)
- Model Rocketry
- 1/8 and 1/10 scale vehicles (nitro & electric)
Club activities emphasize good-time fly-ins and get-togethers rather than serious competition events. The yearly activities typically include the following events:
- Fly-Ins: Other clubs are invited to participate in a Giant Scale and a Toys-For-Tots Fly-In. The Toys-For-Tots Fly-In is “fly what you have” on the first Saturday of December, the landing fee being a unwrapped toy for both a boy and a girl The toys are given to the Church in Chualar to be distributed to needy children in Chualar. (See Community Service below) We also host a Memorial Fun Fly some time in July (see schedule of events) where we recognize our deceased members in conjuction with a club hosted lunch.
- Float Flies: Two or three weekend float flys, for SAM members and invited guests only, are held each year at Lake San Antonio in South Monterey County. A wide variety of float planes are seen, from trainers to Giant Scale Schneider Cup race planes. Many members also travel to float flys hosted by other clubs.
- Glider Flies: Are held at our field on the First Saturday of May, June, July, and August. Additionally, many members also take advantage of some great slope soaring at beach venues along the Monterey-Santa Cruz coastline.
- Fun Flies: Club fun flys are occasionally held. These are not the specialized plane, serious competition type events, but consist of fun events where luck can be as important as skill. Novice pilots are encouraged to participate in these events.
- Special Events: The Club usually host one Pylon Race Event and two IMAC Contests during the years. See the Schedule of Events for those dates.
- Ruddergate Parties: Once a month, during the good weather months, a ruddergate (aeronautical tailgate) potluck picnic is held at the flying field. The club furnishes barbecued hamburgers or hot dogs and beverages, and members bring a salad or desert to share. These are popular events and are often combined with special events. Usually held on the fourth Saturday of the month, but check the events calendar.